Monday, October 13, 2014

The Continental (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Today is the opening day of The Continental at the Pacific Place. Replacing Domani on the ground level of the iconic landmark in Admiralty, The Continental becomes the third new restaurant brought to us by the Swire Group in 2014, with the first two being Ground Public and Public both located in Taikoo Place.

The Continental will serve as a café, bar and tea salon throughout the day offering a wide variety of classic and modern European dishes. The food menu is designed by Chef Rowley Leigh, one of UK’s brightest chefs who used to helm a number of popular restaurants in London including Le Café Anglais and Kensington Place.



The interior design of The Continental
was put in the capable hands of David Collins Studio, the team behind the design of my favorite café in London - The Wolseley (and one of the most popular grand cafés in the city).

From what I have seen today, there are still traces of Domani remaining here although they have added a whole lot of "Green" to the mix.



It's nice to see Domani's signature "rippling waves" ceilings still intact.




At lunch, the restaurant offers an a la carte menu, a 2-course set ($225) and 3-course set ($265). I was trying to decide between the 2-course and 3-course but finally told my server that I would make up my mind on my dessert a little later.
 
First up, a basket of bread - the quality was good.



Butterhead lettuce salad with spring onion, radishes and lemon - I liked the refreshing taste of the lemon zest complementing the salad nicely but the lettuce was not crisp like we thought it would be (3/10).



We started things off on a sour note and the trend continued - roasted snapper with citrus fruits and olive oil. The snapper was roasted nicely but the citrus oil was a little too sour for my liking (4.5/10).




I wasn't in the mood for an apple tart (as part of the 3-course lunch set) so instead I got myself a Paris-brest from the dessert menu. To my surprise, the portion was huge and it could easily feed 2 people ($90).

The Paris-brest definitely saved the day for me. The choux pastry was excellent but the delicate cream could have a little stronger praline flavor to it. Still the best out of my three dishes (7/10).



A bit of mixed feelings from this luncheon experience. Thought the service and ambiance were both excellent but the food wasn't nearly as impressive.

I am a little curious about this a la carte menu though. Perhaps I may find another time to visit for dinner.




Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Unit 406, L4, Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Admiralty
Tel: +852 2704-5211 
Website: thecontinentalhongkong.com


3 comments:

  1. I tried the Afternoon tea, it was worse than "not impressive". A Britsh restaurant serving afternoon tea which can't do scone right is as ridiculous as a Cha Charn Teng which can't do Pineapple Bun right. I think you are too generous to give it 3*. I would give 1* for the food. 2* for the service which can be described as reasonably polite but cold as ice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Sounded like they've committed the cardinal sin of messing up their scone which is a definite no-no for any British restaurant. You're right that I was too generous in giving them 3*. Based on their food and service, they were definitely not worthy but it was on their opening date so I was kinda giving them the benefit of the doubt.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell us what you think